The most comforting Hong Kong Breakfast to enjoy on a cozy day at home. This bowl of macaroni brings back childhood memories when my parents use to bring me and my brother to the cafe’s in the morning before we start our day.
Prepare your ingredients:
- Lite Spam
- Shell Pasta
- Carrots / Peas / Asparagus (What I ended up using)
- Chicken Broth
Make sure to pan fry the spam. This will release the excessive oil the spam has and also will make your soup flavorful. If you are not a fan of spam, you can also substitute with ham.
Recipe - Hong Kong Style Spam & Egg Macaroni Soup
- 2 bag shell pasta (7oz)
- 2 cans chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 can of lite spam
- 4 eggs
- 1 carrot, diced and blanched
- 1 cup of diced asparagus , blanched (or Frozen Peas)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- green onions and cilantro for garnish
- salt & pepper for taste
- Prepare a pot of boiling water for the pasta. Add a pinch of salt. Cook the pasta as per package instructions. Set it to the side to cool.
- Peel the carrot, slice and dice it into bite size. Chop and dice the asparagus as well. (Can also use frozen peas and carrots )
- Prepare a pot of boiling water and blanch the carrots and asparagus, then set it to the side.
- Slice the spam into thick slices. Pan fry the spam until both sides are crispy. In the same pan, add in individual eggs and fry them sunny side up. Set the eggs to the side.
- In a pot, combine both chicken stock, water and bring it to a boil. Add sesame oil, salt and pepper for taste.
- Fill a bowl with some egg shell pasta, top it off with carrots/asparagus, green onions, slices of spam and egg. Pour the hot broth over and enjoy.