This was inspired by Seonkyoung Longest . I wanted fresh batch of Kimchi to eat the next day, and she came up with this delicious and quick recipes. Though I did not have apricot preserve that she used, but the agave sweetness was as tasty.
The process of making Kimchi takes time but at the end it’s all worth it.
Recipe - Fresh Kimchi
- 1 medium napa cabbage, chopped (2lb)
- 1/3 cup salt
- 3 stalk green onions, chopped
- bunch chives (optional)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons korean red chili flakes
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon apricot preserves (I substitute agave)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seed
- Peel, chop and rinse the Napa cabbage. Strain the Napa until it’s dry.
- Place the dry napa cabbage into a very large bowl so it’ll be easy to mix. Add in salt and mix evenly. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Half way (15 mins) mix again as you should see napa is releasing it’s liquid.
- Once 30 minutes is over, pour the Napa into a strainer and rinse under the water for 1-2 minutes throughly so can remove the salt. Squeeze as much liquid out of the Napa then set to the side.
- In a bowl, mix in the kimchi Paste ingredients.
- Pour the Napa into a large bowl, add in green onions, chives and the paste. Mix in well, making sure the cabbage is completely covered with the paste.